[Coco] Floppy Disk Density

billg999 at cs.uofs.edu billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Sat Aug 24 09:51:04 EDT 2013

You people can't be serious.  I am standing here with a
single density, a double density and a high density 5.25"
floppy in my hands.  They all have hub rings, they are all
the same color and you can't see light thru any of them.
I have formated all of these disks at various densities and
it really doesn't make any difference.  Just like single
and double sided, all the reference means is what they were
certified at.  Back in the days of flippy disks (before we
had double sided drives)  there was an article in one of the
magazines (possibly Kilobaud Microcomputing) that exploed the
myth of disk manufacturing.  They all come off the same production
line and get labeled as what they certify as.

The answer is simple.  Degauss the disk and format it at what
you want.  If it fails to format use it at a lower density.
When it reaches the point of not working even at Single Density,
throw it away. (Yes, I still have systems with Single Density
disk drives!!)

bill