[Coco] Introduction, cartridge slot proto boards, J&M controllers, and EDTASM pak.

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 12:52:16 EDT 2013

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013, Mark J. Blair wrote:

> Also, how could I bootstrap DriveWire onto my CoCo if I don't have any
> means of writing CoCo floppies other than on the CoCo itself? I bought a
> device called KryoFlux thinking I'd use it to write CoCo floppies on my
> Mac, but I didn't read the fine print enough to realize that it's going
> to take some software development work before I can do that. It'll read
> the floppies just fine, but there's a big gaping hole in the write side
> of the equation. Grr!

Welcome to the sucker's - err, Kryoflux customer's list. I have one
sitting here collecting dust.  They talk a great talk, but haven't even
been able to get the thing to reliably read a variety of MFM formatted
diskettes.  If I wanted nice hardware with deficient software support, I'd
have stuck with my Catweasel.  At least the CW has a modest amount of 3rd
party support even though it's been abandoned by the vendor.

> For the Apple IIe that I'm also playing with, I found a package called
> ADTpro which can be used to transfer Apple disk images to floppies on
> the Apple over a serial link. It can even bootstrap itself onto an Apple
> with no pre-existing floppy disks by taking advantage of the way Apples
> let you receive input from a serial card as if you typed it on the
> keyboard. It seems to me that it should be quite possible to do a
> similar thing on the CoCo using either the cassette interface, or a
> Deluxe RS232 Pak plus multi-pak interface. Has that particular wheel
> already been invented on the CoCo?

ADTPro is very cool indeed.  I've always wanted to port DriveWire to the
Apple 2, but never got a Round Tuit.  Maybe when I retire :-)

Steve