[Coco] 6809 wafer on eBay

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Thu Aug 22 12:43:47 EDT 2013

On Thu, 22 Aug 2013, Mike Pepe wrote:

> I doubt any process engineer would learn anything new from a 30+ year old
> wafer. I also think Googorola has better things to do than go after people
> who possess such curiosities. I'm sure Intel/AMD/Nvidia would have a
> different take on that, though.

That's an understatement.  At some level it's always been a game of
spy-vs-spy, since all chip vendors are constantly watching the
competitor's products for signs of patent infringement.  But, no one wants
to make it simple for the other guy!

If that wafer is really 30 years old, then all patents that applied to it
have expired.  However, an enormous of amount of what goes into
fabrication falls under "internal tribal knowledge", aka trade secret.

I'll be very surprised if that auction is not halted, 30 years or not.

Steve