[Coco] Introduction, cartridge slot proto boards, J&M controllers, and EDTASM pak.

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Thu Aug 22 10:58:27 EDT 2013

On Aug 22, 2013, at 07:40 , "John W. Linville" <linville at tuxdriver.com> wrote:
> There are CLOADM'able WAV files of HDB-DOS that can be loaded to get
> DriveWire access.  It is not as "clean" as ADTpro, and requires both
> a cassette interface cable and the serial (aka "DriveWire" cable).
> The idea of adding this "bootstrap over the cassette cable" mode
> to the DriveWire server has been suggested, but no one has yet been
> motivated enough to do that.

Cool, I'll look into that. I just checked the Radio Shack web site, and they don't appear to carry 4-pin DIN plugs any more. :( I could order one from Digi-Key, but I'm impatient NOW! :)

Once I boot up HDB-DOS and run a DriveWire server on my Mac, can I use that to transfer disk images to floppies on the CoCo?

> I _think_ it is possible to invoke some magic POKEs on the CoCo to
> do the equivalent of the "IN #2" on the Apple, but I never manage to
> keep track of them.  Anyway, if those POKEs are real (and not just my
> imagination), then adding a "bootstrap over the serial cable" mode
> to the DriveWire server then becomes a simple matter of programming
> as well... ;-)

Hmm, I haven't heard of a function like that on the CoCo before. The Deluxe RS232 Pak appears to have a way to transfer BASIC and binary programs, but I haven't played with it yet. Last night was my first experience with the Deluxe RS232 pack, and all I did with it was look at its config menus after I cleaned its very tarnished edge fingers. Incidentally, I've been polishing grungy edge fingers with an old electric drafting eraser, then coating them with some Deoxit. That seems to work well.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/