[Coco] dosbox and kiel emulator

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Thu Aug 22 10:24:30 EDT 2013

Robert Hermanek wrote:
> So the only coco3 emulator I use is the David Kiel emulator, because it is so
> simple -- double click .exe.  Of course these days my machine is now a 64-bit
> Windows 8 box.  So I installed DosBox 0.74, and fired up coco3.exe.  It works
> perfectly, except *extremely slowly*, and is unusable.  Anybody know why?
>
> -RobertH

It is much easier to use D-Fend Reloaded as a front end for DosBox. Try setting
your CPU for Dynamic and Cycles for MAX. That should increase the speed of
emulation.

I have not been able to get the Kiel emulator to run in DosBox with more than
128K memory on a WinXP system. If I don't use DosBox but run the emulator
directly, I can get additional memory. I doubt you will do better regards
emulated Coco3 memory on your system so that will limit the software you can run.

You will find that MESS and VCC will almost certainly work better on your
system. It will also permit running hard disk emulation with RGBDOS and
Drivewire with HDBDOS.