[Coco] Introduction, cartridge slot proto boards, J&M controllers, and EDTASM pak.

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Thu Aug 22 10:20:24 EDT 2013

On Aug 22, 2013, at 06:36 , Bill Pierce <ooogalapasooo at aol.com> wrote:
> DriveWire - All I can say is... WOW... Best thing since the disk drive was invented
> http://sites.google.com/site/drivewire4/

Is there already a canned solution with DriveWire for transferring an RSDOS disk image file on the PC to a real floppy on the CoCo?

Also, how could I bootstrap DriveWire onto my CoCo if I don't have any means of writing CoCo floppies other than on the CoCo itself? I bought a device called KryoFlux thinking I'd use it to write CoCo floppies on my Mac, but I didn't read the fine print enough to realize that it's going to take some software development work before I can do that. It'll read the floppies just fine, but there's a big gaping hole in the write side of the equation. Grr!

For the Apple IIe that I'm also playing with, I found a package called ADTpro which can be used to transfer Apple disk images to floppies on the Apple over a serial link. It can even bootstrap itself onto an Apple with no pre-existing floppy disks by taking advantage of the way Apples let you receive input from a serial card as if you typed it on the keyboard. It seems to me that it should be quite possible to do a similar thing on the CoCo using either the cassette interface, or a Deluxe RS232 Pak plus multi-pak interface. Has that particular wheel already been invented on the CoCo?

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
http://www.nf6x.net/