[Coco] 6809 wafer on eBay

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Thu Aug 22 02:10:34 EDT 2013

As one who is not at all knowledgeable about the manufacture of CPU chips,
could somebody please enlighten me as to what exactly this 4"/100 wafer
thing is?  It's 4 inches in diameter and contains the makings of 100
6809s?   Is each of the little squares something that gets mounted in the
center of the actual 6809 chip in such a way as to make contact with its 40
pins?  Why would the shape be a disc with many of the squares cut off in
the middle, rather than rectangular?

Also, the lengthy and interesting essay about the 6809 at the end,
seemingly written by a design team insider, makes note of the HCF ("halt
and catch fire") test instruction in the 6809.  Does this have a known
opcode, and what does it do?

Art