[Coco] Multi-Pak ports

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Aug 17 20:31:17 EDT 2013

On Saturday 17 August 2013 20:20:07 Bruce W. Calkins did opine:

> 1: All three drive controllers should have the same hardware addresses,
> so the answer is NO; you should not even plug them into the MPI at the
> same time.
>
> 2: Extended Disk Basic file tracking in RAM and its settings in ROM
> assume a single drive set.  Running drive sets in parallel would
> quickly lead to data corruption.  Changing the hardware addresses and
> descriptors in OS-9/Nitros9 might be doable.

Don't forget that they need 2 4 byte wide decodes, with the std version
needing $FF40-43, and $FF48, skipping the FF44-47 4 byte block.  One could
with additional decoding, use two fairly easy because you could just move
the address groups up by 4 bytes.  So that would occupy $FF40-$FF4C>
But it would take new, full decoding logic installed in each drive cart.

The 3rd set would have to start a new $10 byte wide scheme.

I see red everytime I think of the headaches the incomplete decoding in the
coco has caused us for the last 30 some years.  Idiocy, to save a $0.17
chip.