[Coco] (Marginally Topical) TRS-80 Model I Troubleshooting

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Fri Aug 16 22:31:19 EDT 2013

On 08/15/2013 09:13 PM, Chris Dent wrote:
>> But if I power it up with the expansion unit switched on I get garbage on the screen
>

> When a Model I is connect to an expansion interface the first thing it tries to do is load and
>
> execute the boot sector from the floppy.  If it fails to boot, it doesn't fall back to the BASIC
>
> Interpreter, it just hangs.
>
> Hold the BREAK key down when powering up and that should get you into BASIC

Ooh, hey, if I ever knew this once back in the day I've forgotten it.
When I was in 6th grade I read a book on BASIC for the TRS-80 Model I,
but by the time I'd convinced my parents to get me a computer the Model
I was discontinued, and that's how I got into the CoCo.  So it's
possible that I had read that once upon a time, but not having used it,
it sure didn't stick with me.  When I get some time to play with it
again I'll try that before I go trying to clean the contacts or re-seat
the chips.  Thanks for the tip, Chris.

JCE