[Coco] Composite Video

billg999 at cs.uofs.edu billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Wed Aug 14 12:55:35 EDT 2013

> CoCo 1 & 2s need an adapter for composite output.  Their standard output
> is
> analog RF for TV channel 3 or 4 (or was that 2 and 3?)  I have not had any
> issues with the CoCo 3 composite output into a composite monitor of the
> same
> vintage.

Of the same vintage, that is the problem.  I guess I made the mistake
of assuming "NTSC composite video" actually was some kind of standard.
Looks like it is back to the drawing board as I don't see many monitors
"of the same vintage" being offered today.  Is there anywhere I can find
out just what the COCO3 does different from other NTSC Composite Videos?
Is it something as simple as levels? Or are we talking about wacked out
waveforms and timing issues?  I was utterly amazed at how crisp and clean
the Apple2 output is on a modern technology monitor.  Surely we can do
the same.

bill