[Coco] Cocopedia update

Wayne Campbell asa.rand at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 14:45:56 EDT 2013

On Aug 12, 2013 12:10 AM, "Joel Ewy" <jcewy at swbell.net> wrote:

> This is good stuff, Wayne.  Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

You're welcome. :)

>>  It makes me wonder about the possibility of an updated BASIC-09
compiler that would produce compatible i-code modules -- or maybe even a
different language entirely that would compile to i-code.

I have many such ideas. In all, I call it Basic09 Level 3. I will describe
it in a different post, when I'm in front of a computer.

>> What I would really like to see in BASIC-09 is meaningful labels for
program flow instead of line numbers.  That would make ON GOTO and ON GOSUB
much nicer, for instance.  Couldn't that be done by hashing symbolic names
into line numbers without any change to the i-code structure?

In fact, line numbers in Basic09 are labels. All one needs to do is change
the rule requiring them to be numbers. I don't know what that would entail.

>> I could also do without the integrated editor.  I'd love to see a
stand-alone BASIC-09 compiler, or a modernized IDE.

Separating the editor yes. But keep the internal compiler/de-compiler.

> Thanks again for documenting this stuff.
>
> JCE
>
> p.s.  I originally sent this reply on 8/9/13, but it never appeared in my
CoCo mail list folder, though it shows up in Thunderbird's 'Sent'.  Not
sure what happened there.  Sorry if it duplicates.

It didn't. I never got the first one.

Wayne