[Coco] OS-9 "C" question

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Wed Aug 7 09:47:20 EDT 2013

Hi guys,
I'm trying to make a forked program "pipe" data back to the calling program.
All in "C" language in OS-9 Level 2
Here's the scenario:

Start first program
fork 2nd program (with parameters)
send data from forked program (2nd) to calling program (1st)
process data with 1st program
close 2nd program
continue to loop and possibly fork again

I've never worked with pipes other than simple redirection from the cmd line.
I've looked in all the OS-9 manuals and the description of pipes is brief. It does not explain "in depth" how to set up programs to communicate with each other.
Do both programs need to have pipes set?
I want the 2nd program to read a disk file and return it's data to the 1st program in a loop. Then the data is stored in arrays to use later. The pipes (at this point) need to be reset so I can continue writing to the screen,  reading and writing disks. The 2nd program may be called more than once so I need to be able to set and reset pipes often.
I really need a detailed flow chart to grasp what needs to be done.

Anyone got a knowledge of pipes and how to set up this type of work?

Thanks

Bill Pierce
http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia