[Coco] (Marginally Topical) TRS-80 Model I Troubleshooting

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Aug 5 18:31:59 EDT 2013

On Monday 05 August 2013 18:22:46 Joel Ewy did opine:

> On 08/05/2013 08:26 AM, Andrew wrote:
> > Joel,
> >
> > You've probably thought of this, but my first thought on the "touchy
> > v-hold" was to squirt some cleaner on the pot. May or may not be that
> > simple, of course (indeed, what you mean by "touchy" is probably
> > influencing my suggestion).
>
> Thanks Andrew.  I actually hadn't thought about the pot yet, but I don't
> really think that's the problem.  I can get it to hold if I adjust the
> pot just right and don't breathe on it.  And it does seem to lock into
> place, but the hold feels weak, if that makes any sense.  I would think
> a dirty pot would seem to jump around in value more as I turn it.  In
> this case, it seems more like the 'hold' just has a weak grip.

If its a transistorized circuit, as opposed to tubes, the "Capacitor
Wizard", walking around in it and checking the electrolytic capacitors will
probably be the most enlightening thing you can do.  Old caps dry out and
develop high resistance internal connections.  The teeny little ones with
25 volt and below voltage ratings are infamous for that when running in a 5
volt digital logic circuit.  Its an amazing little meter, with a gold
plated price tag, but in a service shop, it will save you its nearly $200
price tag just in the time to find bad caps the first week you own it.

The same comment could be applied to old tube circuits, but they generally
run on higher voltages which tend to keep the caps better "formed" and
working for longer periods of time.  Then they die at about the same rate
as the tubes do, usually from the tubes generated heat.