[Coco] OS9/68K on Atari SatanDisk

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Mon Aug 5 09:48:30 EDT 2013

On 08/05/2013 12:37 AM, tonym wrote:
> [...]

Thanks for the links, Tony.

Yeah, I've been aware of those things, but they're all just a bit more
than I can afford to spend on something like that, especially when I
have no real certainty that they'll work for my application. I've tried
to use cheap SATA/IDE adapters on commodity PC hardware and found them
completely useless (though cheap IDE/USB adapters have always worked
great for me.)  I guess that experience has soured my outlook on the
whole hard drive adapter genre, especially seeing as SATA/IDE is
ostensibly just a physical adapter, requiring no change to the
protocol.  If even that doesn't work as advertised, why should I expect
a more complicated SCSI to SATA/IDE translation to work better?

Arguably, if I spent real money I might expect a better result than I
would get with a $15.99 adapter, but my experience with cheap IDE/USB
adapters has always been positive, (so cheap doesn't always equal crap)
and my experience with hard drive interface adapters (all cheap, but
different brands) has been universally terrible.  I get that there isn't
nearly the market for SCSI adapters as for IDE/SATA, hence the price
difference.  But the specialty nature of the product doesn't enhance my
confidence that it'll work for me. On the contrary, it increases my
concern that they may not have been tested on a wide variety of
equipment, and may not work on the MM/1 or the Amiga.

At this point I may still have a few cruddy 66MHz PPC macs I can
scavenge SCSI drives from without paying $150.  Probably by the time I'm
forced to get one of those adapter boards they won't be available
anymore.  If the N8VEM guys are designing their own adapter, that at
least provides the possibility that some kind of adapter could be built
in the future.  If I'm going to throw money at a HD adapter that I'm not
sure will work, I guess I would rather throw it at something designed
and built by and for hobbyists who care about the computers themselves
and might be willing to help get it working.

Does anybody have any direct experience with these SCSI/IDE/CF adapters?

JCE