[Coco] (Marginally Topical) TRS-80 Model I Troubleshooting

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Sun Aug 4 23:39:04 EDT 2013

So I was given a TRS-80 Model I system on Friday.  It includes the
TRS-80, an Expansion unit, a monitor, a very, very strange "screen
printer", a pair of floppy drives, a broken but physically very nice
CTR-80, a bunch of of programs on cassette (including a boxed Avalon
Hill Planet Miners game), and a box labeled "TRS-80 floppy disks" that
appear from the labels on the individual disks themselves to actually be
Apple 2 disks, though I don't yet know what is on them.

The computer powers on.  The monitor works but has an extremely touchy
vertical hold.  But if I power it up with the expansion unit switched on
I get garbage on the screen.

Next time I have the time to clear the space to set it up and play with
it, I'll try cleaning the card edge contacts between the TRS-80 and the
expansion unit, as I gather this is a common failure.  But if that
doesn't work, is there any other wisdom about likely problems with the
Expansion unit?  Reseat socketed chips?  Check for bad caps?

What about the vertical hold on the monitor?  I'm not afraid of a
soldering iron, can read a schematic, know what not to touch inside a
TV, and where to keep my other hand, but don't have a good enough grasp
of CRT circuits to really know where to find the V. hold parts or know
what to suspect.  (I do have an ancient copy of TAB's "101 TV Troubles
and How to Fix Them" or some such.  But it predates even the TRS-80
monitor by a few years.)

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

JCE