[Coco] No more dream ports

nickma at optusnet.com.au nickma at optusnet.com.au
Thu Apr 25 19:38:09 EDT 2013

	Steve,

	It sound like we share a few common programming ethos.

	I too don’t use debuggers, I never have. I just look at my code and
debug directly from there.

	I rarely, if ever use any macros.

	I don’t believe using a modern tool can create tight, optimized
code as well as doing it “by hand”.

	It’s like an artist uses a fine brush for doing the fine details of
a masterpiece.

	I do use external tools for development such as an Amiga running
“Brilliance” for graphics creation. It’s great because I can set
the palette size to 16, total colors to 64 and the resolution to match
the CoCo.

	Sound, I have always used a CoCo running Studio Works but I would be
interested in a sound program on my PC (preferably my Amiga) that will
sample to 6 bits and have some way of exporting to the CoCo. Any
suggestions anyone?

	And I still use a modified Disk Edtasm… Robert Gault’s excellent
version.

	Nowadays, I have my CoCo attached to my PC via Drivewire and my real
disk drives don’t even get turned on.

	It’s brilliant! I can assemble very quickly, test code and be
loaded up back into Edtasm very quickly. Not as fast as doing it all
on the PC via an emulator but it does mean that I am creating on real
CoCo hardware. I don’t worry if any “tricks” I do don’t work
on an emulator… I’m writing software for the *CoCo*, not a PC or
Mac masquerading as a CoCo.

	I have a preference to use a real CoCo and to this day, I still use
the Same CoCo3 I was using back in the late 80’s to create Space
Intruders and Rupert Rythym.

	Nick