[Coco] Multiple HDB-DOS 256 drive partitions Software Wanted

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed Apr 24 15:37:55 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM, Boisy Pitre <boisy at tee-boy.com> wrote:
> There hasn't been a partitioning table feature done as far as I know on the CoCo.
>
> Actually, there is enough unreserved space in RBF's LSN0 to allow for some limited partitioning, but no one has attempted to commandeer that area for anything.

When I was doing the RBF filesystem stuff in DW, I noticed that you
can find everything you need to know to verify an RBF filesystem
exists in LSN0, including exactly where the filesystem should stop on
the underlying disk.

Wouldn't it be a fairly simply hack to make descriptors like /i0 /i1
/i2 /iX etc where upon initialization each one greater than 0 "skips"
X number of RBF filesystems, looking for another valid one starting on
the sector immediately after the end of the previous, until it finds X
valid RBF LSN0's and records its own offset all automagically?  It's
pretty easy to verify a valid RBF filesystem with very little doubt
you've found one.
Essentially you don't need a partition table if the RBF partitions are
arranged sequentially on the disk.

$0.02
-Aaron