[Coco] Multiple HDB-DOS 256 drive partitions Software Wanted

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Apr 24 10:52:33 EDT 2013

On Wednesday 24 April 2013 10:23:02 Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) did opine:

> afaik you cannot create more than on os-9 partition since it begins from
> bottom-up. how can you put two LSN0 ?

Sure you can.  Absolutely not a problem.  In fact, I have in a pinch, used
one of my scsi descriptors to temporarily point at a dsk file I had moved
to a 1Gb drive, by modifying the descriptors offsets so they pointed at
lsn0 of the dsk file.  I then cd'd to it, and ran the installation scripts
to install the newer version of nitros9 on the other, first scsi drive.
There is a bit, IIRC in the IT.DNS byte of the descriptor, that tells
format when to query the drive for its size, or take the descriptors idea
of the drive at face value.  One could theoretically take a 1Gib drive, and
install 10 100 meg partitions on it if you wanted to.  Those 100 meg
partitions would then only need a cluster size of one, whereas the whole
drive as one partition needs a cluster size of $10, eg 16 clusters per
allocation map bit.  Either way would work.

With nitros9 and the superdriver, and throw in hdbdos to sweeten the mix
even more, and there are essentially no limits to what you can do with the
os9 file system for either scsi or IDE based systems.

> the thing you can multiply is the 256-RGB disks, by poking a new hdb-dos
> offset. Check the last image I sent to you, it has a second 256-disk
> partition for mod player.

Nitros9, using partition offsets,  makes this a piece of cake.  Currently
the /sh descriptor is setup to match the starting address in LSN#'s of the
start of the HDBDOS 256 disk area of your hard drive.  There is no physical
reason one couldn't copy & rename sh.dd to si.dd, sj.dd etc, so as to be
able to access, with unique offsets set in the descriptor, in one bootfile,
a thousand or more virtual floppies, 256 at a time.  And _any_ of them
bootable if you've os9gen'd them, and have a copy of my bootlink utility,
downloadable from my site.