[Coco] CoCo bus interface project

Matthew D Stock stock at csgeeks.org
Wed Apr 17 20:45:12 EDT 2013

Thanks everyone for your support on this project, it's been a learning
experience.  If I lived closer to Chicago, I'd be tempted to go to the
'fest.

I have a question for those of you on the hardware side...  I'm having
some issues with ROM images that are greater than the usual 8k ROM
segment.  In particular, I'm trying to understand how the 32K ROM PAKs
were wired, not having one myself.  My assumption was that the 32K ROM
was mapped to the upper half of the address space, and that on boot the
ROM startup code in the $C000 segment would disable the built-in BASIC
ROMs.  What I don't know is if the ROM cartridge needs to help, like
also asserting SLENB.  Or if CTS is asserted for the entire upper half
of memory when the BASIC ROM is disabled, or if the ROM board needs to
decode the addressing, etc.

I've looked in many of the doc caches, and I can't seem to find anything
like a developer's guide to ROM PAKs.  Before I keep going with trial
and error, can anyone shed some light?
Thanks,
   -Matt