[Coco] The CoCo outside of the U.S.

Ciaran Anscomb cocomalt at 6809.org.uk
Mon Apr 15 10:31:56 EDT 2013

"Boisy G. Pitre" wrote:
> In the upcoming book, Bill and I want to touch a bit on CoCo as it
> existed outside of the U.S. There's the issue of clones, which is a
> different topic and not what I'm looking to discuss at the moment.

While I'm no historian (so beware: wild speculation), my impression is
that in the UK, the CoCo didn't do so well because Tandy really overpriced
it here.  The Dragon sold better at least partly due to price (possibly
also because it could connect to standard parallel printers).

The Register recently published this graph demonstrating relative
popularity, even if not actually putting any numbers on it:

http://regmedia.co.uk/2013/01/03/chart.png

> It also appears that international CoCo sales started with the CoCo 2,
> then carried on with the CoCo 3. I know that a PAL version of the CoCo 3?
> what about a CoCo 2?

Pretty sure the CoCo 1 was on sale in the UK - you see them pop up on
ebay all the time.  The CoCo 2 definitely was, I knew someone with a 16K
non-Extended BASIC version, and I currently have a 64K T1-equipped one.

The CoCo 3 was not sold in the UK, presumably due to those poor sales.

..ciaran