[Coco] GIME

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Fri Apr 12 17:36:17 EDT 2013

On 04/12/2013 02:19 PM, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>> Honestly I hardly think they do actually have them.
>>
>> Do you see a BUY NOW button or Send RQF ? Because if it's not Buy Now this
>> means they don't have it but they will got for it. I got negative answers
>> for other parts they claimed having it in their websites.
> Most of the places I was checking out are chip manufacturers and even
> list potential yields.  Of course, you could be right, too but I have
> had considerable luck buying obscure chips that are no longer available
> in the US at all.  That's why I wondered if this is a generic chip and
> anyone with the right number would work or if they contain something
> that makes them unique (isn't that the case with PALs?)
>
> bill

Hey Bill,

What I've read is that the GIME is an ASIC (Application Specific
Integrated Circuit), which is to say a custom chip.  But I don't believe
that they are (one-time) programmable like a PAL, but rather a custom
mask was designed for the chip.  If that's the case, the part number
should refer to the GIME as GIME, not a generic chip that Tandy then
turned into a GIME.  I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong here.

Is it possible that one of these IC houses bought out another that had
the GIME custom mask as part of its portfolio (I believe they were
sourced from more than one firm)?  Or could these simply be NOS (new old
stock)?  Or vapor.

JCE