[Coco] CoCo and Rasberry Pi ( and Software Rant )

Allen Huffman alsplace at pobox.com
Thu Apr 11 21:29:53 EDT 2013

On Apr 11, 2013, at 7:43 PM, Bill Pierce <ooogalapasooo at aol.com> wrote:

> The problem is programs that copy rom to ram. Those offsets are wiped. Tons of games and graphics software use the rom are for storage. This was normal untill the Coco 3.

Until we replicate the FD1773 drive controller chip, I am afraid there's not much we can do about it.

A few years ago, we were talking (at a Fest?) about making a workalike 1773, that would respond to all the same hardware calls, but transparently be doing I/O to SCSI or IDE (it was awhile ago). With Roy Justus having the solution for modern monitors, the floppy remains the last missing piece. With that, ANY piece of software could be made to run.

I have heard of drive emulators like this for other platforms, but never researched them.

-
Allen Huffman - PO Box 22031 - Clive IA 50325 - 515-999-0227 (vmail/TXT only)
Sent from my MacBook.

22nd Annual "Last" Chicago CoCoFEST! April 27-28, 2013. Lombard, IL. http://www.glensideccc.com
And check out the CoCo-X project: http://kck.st/16fAwkf
1983 CoCo BBS ported to Arduino? Sure. Telnet: allenhuffman.dnsalias.com:2323 (nights)