[Coco] CoCo Ethernet for $25-$30...

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Apr 9 22:34:16 EDT 2013

On Tuesday 09 April 2013 22:23:36 Allen Huffman did opine:

> On Apr 8, 2013, at 11:42 PM, Bill Pierce <ooogalapasooo at aol.com> wrote:
> > I think you're missing Aaron's point. First of all, using the "wiznet:
> > ro "RPi" to do the work (IMHO) are the same thing....
>
> Nope, I see it 100% and think DriveWire is probably one of the best
> things ever for the CoCo, hands done. And I have no problem with there
> being one or one hundred ways to do something on a CoCo. The more, the
> better :)
>
> But, a $22 adapter that could get my CoCo online is a much more
> affordable and portable option. And that's where the magic is. I bought
> DriveWire and the cable when it was first sold at a CoCoFEST! but in
> all these years I never hooked it up. I eventually did get a USB RS232
> adapter (for programming BASIC Stamps) and such, but I never had my
> CoCo close enough to my primary computer desk to make it practical.

My coco is in the basement Allen.  I found an outfit that had 10 meter long
extension usb2 cable/hubs.  I did had some 3 meter boosted hubs, but I
think a nearby lightning strike wrote the ~30~ to one or both of those, but
these have been pretty bullet proof.  I have a 2 foot dw cable that hits a
usb-ser adapter, and that is plugged into a 7 port hub 2 feet away that
also has the Brother B&W laser printer plugged into it, and the near end of
the 10 meter cable is plugged into one of the hubs near my feet, so my USB
tree has a marked resemblance to a weeping willow here.  The cable was
about $30, works a treat.