[Coco] can't compile Toolshed on CygWin

Steven Hirsch snhirsch at gmail.com
Tue Apr 9 08:06:40 EDT 2013

On Mon, 8 Apr 2013, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Now I need to clean up my PATH construction & reboot maybe, uptime is 7
> days by morning & its 400 megs into swap on a 4Gb machine & getting laggy.

What metric are you basing this on?  If you push a machine into paging,
then end the process that blew up memory use, you'll still see
substantial swap usage in, e.g. 'top'.  BUT, also take a look at free
memory.

Uptime of 7 days is trivial for a Linux system (my server is at 202 days
currently, had to reboot for a kernel update).  If you're seeing
sluggishness, take a careful look at what top tells you when sorting by
CPU usage.  Firefox, thunderbird and their various plug-ins have a nasty
habit of wedging themselves into a state where they'll eat every available
CPU cycle.  Whenever I get a non-responsive box, a 'killall -9 firefox'
usually irons out the problem.  The OS itself ain't winders and doesn't
tend to spontaneously start tripping over its shorts :-)

Any luck with the toolshed build?

Steve