[Coco] CoCo Ethernet for $25-$30...

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 13:45:17 EDT 2013

> I have ben waiting over a decade for someone to come out with some way to get a CoCo on the internet without it just being a PC on the internet with a CoCo attached... Still hasn't happened, so I guess one of us will do it then figure out a way to standardize the interface so software can be written.

I don't think this assessment is fair.  The web server, telnet client,
inetd, smtp client, etc that work with DriveWire 4 all process their
respective protocols at the TCP layer.

The DW4 server is doing no more work than the wiznet chip does, in
fact the DW TCP API is designed specifically so that a wiznet chip can
be used in place of the DW server and the same client programs we
already have written.

Connecting a CoCo to the internet via an offloaded TCP/IP chip is
cool, don't get me wrong.  I designed the networking in DW4 with
exactly that as the eventual goal.  However, to same one method of
providing the stack externally is somehow more "real" than another...
I don't see it.

-Aaron