[Coco] Smartwatch setting from Basic09

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Apr 6 05:02:50 EDT 2013

On Saturday 06 April 2013 04:45:38 George Ramsower did opine:

>  I have been using a Coco3 for many years. I love these boxes. My Coco3
> is my connection to the world of my life. When I use this to keep track
> of time keeping things, such as a mechanical clock, I have to adjust
> for the errors in the SmartWatch. Is there a way to set the smartwatch
> from basic09?
>  I've attemted this a couple of times but, now I don't remember what I
> did or why it didn't work. Now I want to start this again to monitor a
> mechanical clock but, I want to adjust the Smartwatch on a scheduled
> basis(as I tried before) such as once a day or every few hours. The
> smartwatch I am using loses time and needs adjusting ocassionally.

Possibly $64 question George, does it lose time when the machine is off?
My original Xt-RTC setup lost time, around 17 seconds per hour running, but
was still dead on if set & turned off for the night.

Clue #1, its time loss had to be driver related.  At that time, it was
getting fresh time from the chip at the top of each minute.  This was time
during which the IRQ's were disabled, so back in 300 baud delphi days yiu
can well imagine what that did to a 10 kilobyte download.

On dissing the clock, the first thing I found was that in order to make
sure it didn't do a rollover/carry while the chip was being read, the
driver was actually stopping the clock!  It had another command that would
freeze the ripple carry stages that didn't stop the clock, and then it kept
great time, as accurately as my casio watch.  But that IRQ lockout was a
cast iron bitch, so it first got rewrote to only do that hourly, and
eventually only at noon & midnight,  so even then the internal clock was
more than accurate enough for the girls I go with.

Of course it it loses time even turned off, I just related a battle that
has nothing to do with your problem, that I had with it long before our
mailing list was moved _to_ princeton.edu from chestnut.  Pretty ancient
history, really.  I had one of C.B.'s earliest & buggiest HD interfaces.

> Is
> it possible to do that from Basic09? How would this be accomplished?
> Before, I used "Settime" or "Setime"( can't remember right now) but,
> that was from the command line. Does the new OS9 clock module allow
> this or can I use the original clock. I don't really care about the
> year thing. If it says it's 1913, I'm good with that.

Settime works just fine as far as I know.