[Coco] dw_espon notes: mroff

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Thu Apr 4 02:03:33 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 11:50:40PM -0400, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

> I am not sure how real Epsons work, as it's been some 20 years since I've
> used one.  The emulation comes solely from the manual.

Apparently my IBM proprinter is a reboxed Epson?  I dunno.  Anyway I
don't have a ribbon for it right now. :-(  So I can't test it either.

> I would not be surprised if they handled backspace by just moving the head
> back, and so then if you print a second time things become "bold" sort of.
> But no way to verify that here.

I would actually be surprised.  That's old school char-by-char
printing-terminal behaviour and I doubt the "give me a line to think
about and print all at once" epson worked that way.

If you have a linux box you can poke around in you'll find things like
colcrt(1) for fixing nroff's similar output.  Heck it might even be
lurking in OSX.

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA