[Coco] [COCO] VCC Source was: [COCO] Becker Port Specifications?

David Ladd drencor at gamepixel.net
Tue Apr 2 01:52:33 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM, Stephen H. Fischer <
SFischer1 at mindspring.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, I think the argument for open sourcing *any* CoCo
>> software being written today is very strong.
>>

> I wonder who controls the release of the VCC source, the author or the
> Owner.

Well from what I understand the owner and author of VCC are the same
person.
Whats listed in VCC is "Joseph Forgione".  Now if this is correct I don't
know.  That is who has replied to me in the past with any problems or
support questions I had over the years.

> I have some private information that they may not be one and the same.
> (Not said by either person.)

Well that would be interesting to see for sure, but the way the net is
these days you can't always trust everything.  Would still be interesting
to read though.

> The owner may have recently hinted at some additions to VCC, somewhat in
> line with what I discussed with a third party that says he has the source
> (Maybe actually online but unseen). My idea was to just try and find out
> what the actual screen size and other limits are. There are limits but we
> can stretch what we have more than you might think. He and I have different
> options on some basic points of making some CoCo source available. I told
> him so. Then he just disappeared months ago.

Well last time I got a reply from Joseph was about 9 months ago.  I
personally don't like discussing plans of what might or might not happen
util the author/owner authorizes it or comes into the list and says
something.  At this time I really wish I had more information I could share
other than what was already discussed.  Till Joseph actually replies to the
emails at least.

> Aaron, I will send you a PM saying where to read about this online, not
> exactly the same but if you read between the lines... Others may PM me for
> this information, if I publish here where it is it may well disappear very
> quickly. And may just by someone reading this message. I have read some
> confusing posts when put together with what has been said in the past,
> going back a few years.
>
> My interest really is limited to looking at the keyboard input and trying
> to answer questions that keep being asked over and over.

Well right now from what I have heard that there are a few problems with
the keyboard routines in VCC and OS-9 L1.

> I have not been able to find some keys I wanted to type myself.
>
> But much of my interest disappeared when the GPU on my Vista laptop became
> unstuck and the motherboard had to be replaced. I did not lose any files,
> they just have become hard to find and use. I am losing interest.

Well VCC is built using M$ VC++ V6.  The directx libs used during build are
the dec2009.  So as you can see this is rather old now.  Plus the fact that
some of the functions in M$ VC++ V6 is just not as easy to migrate to a
newer compiler.

Personally I believe with the growth of xroar and its already abilities and
cross platform use.  This will probably be the mainstream emulator of
choice for Dragon/CoCo users.