[Coco] Weird CoCo 2 keyboard problem -- any ideas?

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Mon Apr 1 14:02:52 EDT 2013

My recollection from having once opened up a CoCo 1 keyboard is that there
are no diodes, just contacts that get made when a key is pressed.

If pressing the shift key was opening a broken trace, I'd expect it to
matter which of the two shift keys you used, and you said it made no
difference.

So, I wouldn't entirely take the ribbon cable out of the running just yet,
though I'm still puzzled as to why the problem with the shift key should
affect just one keyboard column.

Maybe try simulating a keypress by momentarily shorting a row and a column
line in the ribbon cable and see if you get the expected output in all
cases, and in particular whether you can type a question mark while
simulating the shift key being down.  (Admittedly, it seems like this
requires 3 hands.)

Art