[Coco] drive wire boot from question

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun Sep 30 20:14:19 EDT 2012

Gene Heskett wrote:
> I have nitros9/drivewires /x0 holding an image that should be bootable, and
> I have HDB-DOS-1.0A.  How, from a cold restart, can I boot from it?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Cheers, Gene

1) That needs to be HDBDOS for Drivewire not the HDBDOS for hard drives.
2) The default condition at startup has drives 0-3 as virtual drives on a "hard
drive". That drive will be what is mounted in /X0 or what will be /X0 after
NitrOS-9 boots.
3) To start NitrOS-9 in Drivewire drive #0, you will need a Boot module intended
for Drivewire use on that .os9/.dsk/.vhd image. Simplest method is to use a dw3
nightly build. More complex could be a .vhd image correctly stocked with
Drivewire Boot and other modules.

Now if you already have mounted a dw3 nightly build and are using HDBDOS for
Drivewire but the boot process starts and hangs, there may be descriptor
problems on the dw3 images as there are on the normal .dsk images.