[Coco] Sound Chaser Upate!

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat Sep 29 11:12:34 EDT 2012

Bob,
 Yes, it will default to /dd. I did this to keep from having to use PWD externally. I'm trying to avoid using outside programs to cut down on drive use other than loading the players and music. I was going to write my own routine for an internal PWD until I looked at the code. It seems that OS9 only knows where it's at, not where it's been. The code does a recursive search backwards, until it finds the root dir, catalogging each dir as it goes. This code was a bit more code than I wanted to write so I just set /dd at start then SC knows where it's at and then you tell it where to go. Much easier solution.

 I had  a problem with "tmode" as there's 2 common versions. The original that uses "-echo" and the new that uses "eko=0". Not everyone has the new one so I did write my own enternal tmode to avoid conflicts.

 I'm now trying to write my own enternal "dw" to issue drivewire commands without the external "dw". I've got the code to where it writes the command to drivewire, but capturing the return text is complex and that's the part I need. Like when selecting your drivewire Midi driver... I need the list of drivers displayed for user choice. Drivewire lists what ever midi drivers are on your system so every system is different. On my studio computer I have 7 midi drivers. So there's no way of knowing what drivers a user may have.

 The biggest thing left to do that will bring all the players up to date, is to write a virtual memory driver for all the Sound Chaser players. This way, I'm not using the player's 64k workspace for the song buffer. The Ultimuse player already does this. I'm still wading through that code trying to figure out Mike Knudson's VM method. Mike was supposed to write an article for Rainbow with Dale Puckett on his VM driver and list the code for using in programs but it never came about. That code is probably in some drawer in a file cabinet in a storage unit of old Falsoft stuff. The same with his Midi timing clock. It as rock solid as any Coco clock. Both would be welcome additions to a Coco programmer's arsenal, it's just in the sources to UBox3 and Ultimuse, the code is all over the place. I just have to find the time to sort them out.

 Glad you like the player... it's got a LOT coming. I may even go as far as to create editors for creating the music... eventually.... as I would really like to get all the editors up to date with Nitro. Especially the ones that originated in RSDOS. Then there's "tweakers" I'd like to add, like setting Tempo, Instruments, Midi filters, file format converters... oh well... this goes on and on... with OS9's modular system, I could add any sub-module I want. I just need to get a little more organized with it.

Bill P

Bill Pierce
ooogalapasooo at aol.com