[Coco] My beloved coco seems to have had a stroke

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Sep 23 22:58:46 EDT 2012

Tonight, on powering it up (it has hdbdos) it shows the HDB-DOS1.0A in the
middle of the screen, and essentially stops.  It usually waits for the hard
drives to spin up and do their initial calibration sweep, and assert the
drive ready signal, at which point that 15 second countdown of marching
dots that gives one time to hit the key indicating what to boot from, or
take the default hard drive boot.

I can hear at least one drive do that head scan, but the upper drive HD 1
never turns off its little led unless I remove its drive cable.  HD 0 does
flash it once at powerup, for maybe 1/4 second.  And the countdown dots
never start.  Ever.

Hitting the reset button at that point, then typing DOS0 gets an instant
I/O error, which may be that I need to do a drive off or drive on first,
I've forgotten which enables the first 4 floppy drives.  Power supply
voltages to the multipak, and to the drives are good, the 5 volts is about
5.08, the +12 for the drive motors is about 11.98.

Next step suggestions please.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Fishbowl, n.:
	A glass-enclosed isolation cell where newly promoted managers are
	kept for observation.