[Coco] DynaStar colors

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Sep 23 14:23:21 EDT 2012

On Sunday 23 September 2012 14:02:51 Robert Gault did opine:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 23 September 2012 08:41:17 Bill Pierce did opine:
> >> Does anyone know how or if you can change the colors in DynaStar?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Bill P
> >
> > Dynastar I believe uses a termset file, located in the same directory
> > as the fonts, /sys IIRC.  As for editing it, my memory fails me as it
> > has been 20 years. I'll be within 6 feet of the manual later today &
> > I'll try to look it up.
> >

> > Cheers, Gene
>
> Gene, your memory is just fine! Only problem is that termset does not
> seem to affect Dynastar colors.
>
> Termset is in the SYS directory. It is used to set the codes that
> control text on any of several screens. However, when I start a
> graphics screen and assign unusual screen colors for the background and
> foreground, Dynastar uses whatever colors happen to be on the screen.
>
> So Bill, the answer is to use DWSET or BCOLOR/FCOLOR to adjust your
> screen to whatever colors you wish. Dynastar should be happy with
> whatever colors you choose. You could also try changing the contents of
> the palettes currently in use on your screen as an alternative to the
> above, PALETTE.
>
> These commands can be run with    display 1b code  code  code
> where, for example, PALETTE is 31.
> display 1b 31 palreg color

Humm, can't say as I ever actually tried to change it via termset.  I'd
assume that if the window its running in wasn't in the termset file, then
you would get the defaults and have to use display to change them, and then
run ds.  Or perhaps better yet, cobble up a custom /w descriptor and always
run ds in that window.

I've forgotten most of what I ever once knew about ds, driven to other
editors by its puny sub 8k buffer size limits and its inability to walk
backwards through a longer file.  I'll grant that as a file system test
tool, its the greatest thing since sliced bread at finding flaws/bugs with
all its disk i/o.  I have run out of FD.SEG's using it more than once, and
the file of course is un-recoverable.

In my case I did the vi patches to tsedit, and then when we got a vdg
window system that used vi, I took a 2 step fix, first using dEd to make it
Ed, then thought better of that and used dEd to make it "vim" since all we
were doing is rewriting the 6 character 'tsedit' string in the executables
header anyway. Since vim is an improved vi, and this is an improved tsedit,
capable of using a full 56k buffer, it made perfect sense to me.  Its
stable and bulletproof, which is far more than I can say for most of the
other full screen editors that have come and gone in the coco/os9 world.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Don't go to bed with no price on your head.
		-- Baretta