[Coco] Coco and Modern Printers

Christopher Hawks chawks at dls.net
Sat Sep 15 14:50:52 EDT 2012

David Hazelton said the following on 09/15/2012 09:13 AM:
> Chris;
>
> Which OS (image) on the Raspberry has Java?  I have one and have been playing
> with it (when I find time) for the past couple of weeks,   So I am interested
> in other PI users and what OS they are using for what.

David:

	I'm not aware of any images with Java all ready installed. There are many
articles on the web for installing and tuning the available Java ports,
including the JDK for Linux ARM just announced last friday.

	Aaron, which image and Java are you (or someone you know) running??

>>> The DW4 server runs very well on the Raspberry Pi.  Actually it runs
>>> fine on much, much more limited devices such as the Linksys NSLU2 (a
>>> device with a 133mhz arm cpu and 32mb ram, compared to the Pi's
>>> 700mhz/modern cpu and 256mb).   You can also run cups and/or whatever
>>> printer stuff you need to talk to whichever printer you'd like to use
>>> on the little guy, so its very well suited for tasks like this.
>>>
>>> DW4 emulates an epson FX80 (partially) to render dot matrix output as
>>> an image or will create plain text output.   You can specify arbitrary
>>> commands for the server to invoke after an output file is created (and
>>> pass them the name of that file).  This makes it easy to do things
>>> like Gene has set up.. in a nutshell you print on the coco like normal
>>> and it comes out of your modern printer like normal, all
>>> automagically.
>>>
>>> It would be difficult to build anything for $35 that could work nearly
>>> so nicely for printing alone, much less all the other things DW4 can
>>> do and all the other things the Pi can do.
>>
>>     Thanks for the confirmation Aaron! I was hoping that the Pi would work
>> for DW4.
>>
>>     A $35 DW4 server _hidden_ _inside_ my CoCo!! (Cant' wait!!)

Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft