[Coco] Coco and Modern Printers

Sat Sep 15 03:10:23 EDT 2012

Hi,

The Mfg.'s are adjusting to Microsoft's drivers, not all types of drivers
lend themselves to this.

It all started years ago.

Some time before 1995 a Microsoft person wrote a white paper called the
"Little Device Driver Writer" or something like that.

Basely saying that all the programmers in all the companies were writing bad
software and Microsoft was getting a bad name. THIS HAD TO CHANGE!

Now, if you search today and find that paper, you see a version that has
been cleaned up, I may have the original somewhere on my very old MSDN CDs.
I have searched before and have failed to find it again, I wish I could.

The result was a process that started with Windows 95 and now with W8 the
screws are very tight.

W7 64 Bit was the first MS OS that would not install drivers that were not
tested and signed.

(Yes there are workarounds, but customers do not have that option unless
their management is very stupid.)

16 Bit Software was banished to a Virtual machine called XP Mode. I have it
installed along with several other VMs. I still run the very first program I
installed after MSDOS 3.3, it was in the blank disks I purchased to back up
the OS. YES, on W7!

Windows programming then and now.

http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=46

Is where I put some of what I have observed over the years.

SHF