[Coco] New CoCo videos from Radio Shack

Bill Loguidice bill at armchairarcade.com
Fri Sep 14 11:14:55 EDT 2012

I can tell you that even though "retro" is as popular as ever, efforts to
monetize it have been hit or miss, and a company like RadioShack would be
unlikely to want to pursue efforts like the ones you describe below, which
would never pay off in sales versus effort. It's all too easy to project
what WE want on what others might want. There are many different levels of
retro enthusiasts. I'll give the upcoming Atari Flashback 4 from AtGames,
which I've recently reviewed, as an example. This unit plays 75 classic
Atari 2600 games and has similar styling to the classic hardware. The
expectation is to sell several hundred thousand units, and it will be
carried by major retailers like Bed, Bath, and Beyond, and Amazon, and will
sell for $50. Now, it does a great job of emulating the Atari 2600, but
it's not perfect, with the occasional not-quite-right sound or colors. REAL
fans will accept nothing less than perfection that only the real hardware
can provide and will be VERY critical of this. They'll also want things
like SD card slots to add their own ROMs. Here's the thing, though, these
REAL fans only number in the thousands, but those who remember the system
and may want to re-live their youth in a casual fashion, won't really
notice or care, and they come in far greater numbers. THAT'S who makes
possible something like the Flashback 4, where you can target the
not-quite-perfect engineering that will still appease the greatest number
of buyers.

Let's also face facts, RadioShack is more or less a cell phone store these
days. The fact that many stores even have a DIY section is amazing in and
of itself.

Again, it's still important to keep all options and avenues open, but we
sometimes need to put ourselves in others' shoes, particularly when it
comes to things like profit and motivation.

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade,
Inc.<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1>and