[Coco] Diskette Flipping Question

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Thu Sep 13 16:08:01 EDT 2012

On Thursday 13 September 2012 15:45:24 mike delyea did opine:

> Gene, one source of drive belts I've found is shops that do small
> electronic repairs - tape recorders, VCRs, dictaphones and such.  They
> usually have a fairly good collection of differently sized drive belts.
> You need to take the old belt in with you so he can size match it.
>
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Bruce W. Calkins <

There may be somebody in Charleston doing that Mike, but that is 100 miles
south on I-79 for me, and outside my local sphere of knowledge.

The last shop that actually did that sort of thing in Clarksburg, 20 some
miles up the superslab from me, came down with some sort of very fast
growing cancer and passed, all in about 60 days time, 15+ years ago.  I
bought a few things for the tv station from his widow before I retired in
2002, who was left with very little, apparently just enough life insurance
to dig the hole.

I think its a damned shame, but as I look at my 78th here in about 3 weeks,
I am virtually the last man standing as somebody the local non-statewide
owned radio stations can call on.  I just got the local station because the
gent doing it for the last 20 some years was buried about a month back.
And I am still on the hook to make a linear amplifier out of a 40kw Harris
transmitter to raise our power about 12 db at WDTV.  The main hangup seems
to be the required HVAC install that big a solid state transmitter will
need, close to 25 ton.  That, and the pad construction with an ice
reinforced roof on top of that hill  will cost a lot more than the 5 year
old used transmitter cost.

There are two sides to that accolade intended phrase "The last of a dying
breed", because its always in the back of my mind as to when its my turn.

The end result for me is either I fix it myself if capable, and I am
fairly, or like the rest of the world, go buy another if fixing isn't
feasible and its something I need, or do without.  In the instance I
related, I was able to fix it, so why not?

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
GIVE UP!!!!