[Coco] New CoCo videos from Radio Shack

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Thu Sep 13 14:04:16 EDT 2012

Boisy did a great job on the interview, I'm certainly glad he got to do it!

I'm going to take exception to the statement "one of the things the
Color Computer hasn't had up to this point is a good book about the
entire history ll the way from the inception of the Color Computer until
now."  I'm sorry Boisy -- you never looked at or read "Tandy's Little
Wonder", which I published back in 1990 as the CoCo was fading out, and
reissued in 2006 with minor revisions. It was self-published because no
big publisher wanted to touch it -- wouldn't sell thousands of copies.
It was advertised in the last issue or two of Rainbow, and on Delphi at
the time, and I sold around 300 copies over about an 18 month period. A
few list members expressed an interest, so I revised it in 2006 (mainly
took advertisers out) and put it up for sale. Only had maybe a
half-dozen buy one. Around 2008 I put it up on the list archive as a
free downloadable PDF file. Unfortunately most of the schematics didn't
like being converted to PDF and are barely readable, and I no longer
have originals to re-scan and put in the book, but those are generally
available. Oh, and lest I forget, my work wasn't just "my work". Al
Santos (I think I have the name right!) wrote the history part with just
a little editing on my part. I did some interviews and put a lot of
technical information together, as I wanted it to be as much a "survival
guide" as a history -- a single source of as much CoCo information as
possible/available at the time.

With today's "print on demand" technology and a bit of resurgence on
"retro-computing" you might be able to get a small publisher interested.
But I have some advice -- make it more of a "coffee table" book with
lots of photos and captions, but not so much text. You will likely have
better luck with that sort of "remembrance" book than anything else.
That's what the smaller make car market has found to be more salable.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine