[Coco] OS-9 Databases

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Sep 9 10:31:04 EDT 2012

On Sunday 09 September 2012 09:58:15 Rogelio Perea did opine:

> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> AFAIK, Profile was the only thing that could be called a database.  It
> was
>
> > firesaled out at $9.95 at least 15 years ago, but I've no clue if
> > anyone ever dissed it to get srcs or not.
> >
> > Does anybody else know any more?
>
> What about Sculptor? I have never played with the software but I
> remember reading quite a bit in The Rainbow and other CoCo oriented
> online venues. Seems to be quite a powerful package from what I recall,
> maybe I should give it a spin as it is available for download:
>
> ftp://maltedmedia.com/coco/SOFTWARE/DISK/Applications/Sculptor%20%28coco
> %203%29/

anonymous Access denied, using gftp.  Had to go in at root level & cd,
worked.

I was not aware that it was still available.  When I was drooling over it
from the ads & propaganda in the rainbow, I came to the conclusion that it
was both priced out of sight, and that someone would shoot the programmer
before it was usable.  However, that was based on reading the adv's which
made some truly outrageous claims.  Personal opinion IOW, to be
appropriately discounted.  Software with something for everyone does tend
to succumb to endless bloat and high bug counts that never seem to get
fixed.

If that turns out not to be the case, my apologies.  FHL did do some nice
stuff, both Dynastar and Dynacalc were relatively bug free.  I used dcalc
for my taxes for several years, dstar too, but dstar's microscopic buffer
eventually sent me to the patched tsedit, which could be launched with a
56k buffer.