[Coco] Answer found for question in NitrOS9 source code

Christopher Hawks chawks at dls.net
Tue Sep 4 18:26:15 EDT 2012

Stephen H. Fischer said the following on 09/04/2012 04:42 PM:
> Hi,
>
> You have answered the wrong question.

	That's funny! I did not reply to this thread AT ALL, AT ANY TIME. The (PARTIAL
AND OUT OF ORDER) 'quote' below was a response to Willi Kusche's question 'Why
is the last bit of the allocation map set.'

> When I click "Help" on Windows I almost always get an answer to the question
> "HOW".

	If you are using windows, that explains _everything_!!!

> What I really want is the answer to the question "WHY".
>
> Following is IMHO the answer to the question "WHY" which is inherent in the
> arithmetic done by the code in Format. (0x4E = 78, 6 / 8 = .75) For different
> sized disks the result might not be exact.

	That is the question (of Willi's) that I answered IN A DIFFERENT THREAD.

>> Christopher R. Hawks
>> HAWKSoft
>>
>> You didn't specify what size disks. On a freshly formatted CoCo disk (35
>> tracks, single sided), the least 2 bits in the last byte of the allocation
>> map
>> are set. That is because 35 tracks * 18 sectors per track (630 sectors) /
>> 8
>> bits per byte is 78.75 bytes (or 0x4E bytes and 6 more bits). So byte 0x4e
>> ('cause we're 0 based) of the allocation map = 0x03.
>>

> SHF
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Willi Kusche" <CoCo at wilserv.com>

Christopher R. Hawks
HAWKSoft