[Coco] GIME text modes and font data

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Sep 3 16:32:05 EDT 2012

On 4 Sep 2012 at 3:04, John Kent wrote:

> I'm sure most people on the list know all this.
> I'm reasonably familiar with the chips in the CoCo 1 & 2, although I'm not
> really up with all the registers in the GIME chip.

The GIME chip is not 100% backward compatible with the 6847/6883 combo. There are
semigraphics modes that are not supported at least in software. I also think not in hardware.

On the COCO1/2 the SAM chip generates the clocks to the MPU and the VDG clock. The
VDG chip does have an onboard address generator for video memory access but is limited to
only 13 bits or 8K of video memory. The VDG syncs the SAM chip for HS and VS and
address timing. Similar happens inside the GIME as this has been integrated into one chip.

james