[Coco] GIME text modes and font data

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Mon Sep 3 13:34:09 EDT 2012

On 12-09-03 05:47 AM, Ciaran Anscomb wrote:
> Checking the MESS source, src/mess/video/coco3.c maintains a separate
> area for font data which it could populate with hard coded values, but
> instead copies data into it from the ROM.  It doesn't simulate decoding
> the ROM for looking up font data dynamically.
>
> The implication to me is they know they should be populating that, but as
> you say, decided to cheat seeing as the data they wanted was *right there*
> (so long as you don't run with another ROM).

Interesting. I grabbed an updated version of mess and saw that font data
in there. It seems that later versions (after some point) of mess do not
use the ROM data for the hardware font. I still have some odd behaviour
with mess crashing depending on what the ROM is filled with but that is
probably due to a bug in mess somewhere and possibly fixed in one of the
later patches that I haven't applied, though why the fill value would
affect anything is beyond me.