[Coco] Assistance please

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Sep 3 12:38:29 EDT 2012

On Monday 03 September 2012 12:10:26 Bill did opine:

> I hope this isn't going too OT, but I've received a lot of help from my
> Coco brothers. Now the power supply has given out, and I think that was
> the original problem. Even after completely disassembling the CPU fan
> and blowing it out, replacing the thermal grease, and upgrading the
> memory. Does anyone have a power supply for an old HP Presario 6540C?
>
> Thanks

I am not fam with that particular HP, but I have noted that HP's supplies
are slightly smaller that a std supply at least in the Pavilions.  There, a
half an hours work with a dremel tool, cutting out the rear panel for
clearance, will allow a std supply to be mounted.  Its snug, bucks right up
against the back of the HD in it, but I have one that had that done to it
about 2 years ago & seems to be doing ok at light jobs.  With only a 1Ghz
32 bit athlon in it, it never was a speed demon but plays internet radio
for me when I am in the garage if it can find the bandwidth. There is a
pair of 100' cat5's, 2 hubs and a router between it and the cable modem.
ATM its w/o a monitor as I borrowed that digital tv for the lathe when I
cnc'd it.  I need to find a smaller one I can suspend over the lathe, that
22"er, on a cabinet 5' 6" tall, is both too dim when looking up at that
angle, its a neck breaker too.

Don't put any money into an Antec supply, buy the cheapest thing for sale
on the sidewalks of Taiwan or Singapore for not over $30, they aren't
engineered to die 2 weeks after the warranty runs out like the Antec's are.

I have a 300 watt rated psu in this machine, a quad core phenom with 4 Tb
of drives in it & all slots full.  A friend who had a shop for a couple
years in the next town up, bought a 10 pack at $12 each about 4 years ago.
In 3 years+ of running at or above its ratings, it hasn't faded a
millivolt.  He was selling them at $20.  I gave him the $20 and got a beer
in change. ;-)  But that was the last good deal, what he had when it became
obvious it wasn't paying the rent, he had to get around $40 for, but that
sure beats the big buck+ for an Antec at the box store like Staples.

Good luck Bill.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
		-- John Wooden