[Coco] GIME text modes and font data

jdaggett at gate.net jdaggett at gate.net
Mon Sep 3 11:13:59 EDT 2012

John

The GIME chip has the character generator within. Like the 6847, the GIME chip uses IDMA
to access video RAM. Therefore the memory access speed has to be half that of the ECLK.
With a 2MHz ECLK, (500nS cycle time) the memory needs to be faster than 250nS. The
GIME reads memory when the CPU is not during the first half of the Eclk cycle. Each 6809
clock cycle starts with the falling edge of the Eclk. The GIME slaves the E and Q clks off of
the video clock so that the output mux works cleaner for IDMA.

I am not certain of the actual wiring inside the GIME. So most of my opinions are based on
what I think the GIME is doing from data sheets and other inputs. The GIMe chip reads from
videso ram at three different rates. The VDU section of the GIME chip has two modes,
graphics and text. In text mode there needs to be two bytes read to determine the character
displayed and its attributes if used. Otherwise it is one byte per character. In graphics mode
there is 2pixels/byte, 4pixels/byte and 8 pixels/byte modes. Depending on the mode and
screen width, I think the pixel clock is adjusted accordingly.

james