[Coco] GIME text modes and font data

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Mon Sep 3 04:53:20 EDT 2012

The character generator ius build into the 6847 VDG.
I assume the VDG design is included in the GIME chip.
In the 6847 VDG the RAM data from shared memory is used index the
character in the ROM in text mode and the row address counter scans
through the character rows.
The data output from the character generator is fed into a parallel in
serial out shift register to form the pixel stream.
The color attribute is used to select the foreground and background
color which is probably a color palette (lookup table) driven by the
serial output data.
With the 6847 VDG there is no need for the 6809 to read a character
generator.
I don't know enough about the GIME chip to know how that works.
If it's using the CoCo ROM as a character generator, it would have to
read the RAM data and apply that to the CoCo address bus to access the ROM.
but as you say the character ROM appears to be in rather odd locations
so generating the address offset would be messy.
The ROM output would have to be read off the data bus and loaded into
the shift register.
The pixel clock is 8 x the CPU clock rate and I'm not sure that the
memory would be fast enough to perform 2 accesses (the character code
and the scan line look up) in the time of one CPU cycle.
$F39D - $F09D = $300
128 - 32 = 96 = $60
$300 / $60 = 8 = number of scan lines ?
I don't know if the GIME chip has a programmable character generator but
if it did, it's possible that the 6809 could load the ROM image into the
character generator.

If the pixel clock is say 14MHz in 80 column mode and the characters are
8 pixels wide then the character access rate would have to be 1.75MHZ
which is too high for the CPU.
My understanding is that the CPU clocks at less than 1 MHz lets say
0.875MHz.
If you required an 80 character display you'd have to have a line scan
buffer that loaded the characters in two scan lines.
If you had to look up the ROM in CoCo memory, then you'd have to have a
double buffer, one for the character codes and one for the character pixels.

The MESS emulator does not need to do that character generation in real
time.
Although It may need a character generator to generate the characters in
the graphics memory, which I assume is what you are alluding to.
All it needs to know is the bit map so it is possible that it's cheating
and using spare space in the ROM or registers for character generator space.

Just from first principles I would assume MESS is cheating.

John.

http://www.johnkent.com.au
http://members.optusnet.com.au/jekent