[Coco] GIME text modes and font data

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Mon Sep 3 03:29:53 EDT 2012

I have a bizarre question for those of you who have delved into the
workings of the GIME. The question is where does the font data come from
when the GIME is generating its hardware text modes.

Let me be clear up front. I am NOT talking about HPRINT. I'm referring
to the 40 and 80 column text modes.

What brings this up is the following:

I thought I would be cute and replace the ROM that mess uses for the
coco3 with one of my own devising. That custom ROM uses the 80 column
text mode. I was alarmed to find all the text showing up as spaces. A
bit of experimentation revealed that mess is getting the hires font data
from two portions of the ROM. Character codes 0 through 31 are coming
from $FA10 through $FB0F and codes 32 through 127 are coming from $F09D
through $F39C.

Now it seems totally illogical to me that the actual GIME hardware would
be doing the same thing. The decode logic to make that work would be
horrendously complicated. However, since I have neither the skills nor
the hardware available to test how a real coco3 behaves when swapping
out the internal ROM, I have no way to verify the behaviour.

In other words, is mess doing it right or is it just cheating and
assuming that anyone using a non-standard rom image with mess is doing
something unsupported and thus who cares if it doesn't work correctly?
I'm leaning toward mess cheating but I have no way to prove it one way
or the other.

Has anyone out there replaced the internal ROM in a coco3 with one that
does not have the HPRINT font data at the standard location (that's the
$F09D address)? If so, did it affect the 40/80 column text screens?