[Coco] OS-9 sector allocation bitmap AKA LSN 1

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Sep 2 19:04:01 EDT 2012

On Sunday 02 September 2012 19:00:02 Willi Kusche did opine:

> Hi!
>
> On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Gene wrote:
> > The numbering system, at least in os9, is base 0. AFAIK, free reports
> > the correct data, and it gets it from the map sectors.
>
>     What I'm wondering is why, even in a disk that is only half full,
> resulting in a string of null bytes in the bitmap, is the rightmost
> bit of the last bitmap byte always set?  Normally, that last bit
> shouldn't be set until the disk becomes completely full.  Since
> posting my original query, I took a quick look at the source for the
> "FORMAT" command but that's a huge chunk of source for a 6809 newbie
> like me to make sense of.
>
> Willi

You may in fact have found a bug, but I wonder if its worth fixing.  My
system isn't up at the moment, but I assume one could clear that bit with
dEd of bd, and then check to see if it triggers anything, or is even
reported by free.  I really don't know, never having noticed that.