[Coco] ANSI driver

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Wed Oct 31 11:27:08 EDT 2012

Hi guys
Back in the old BBS days, there were a lot of BBSs that had ANSI graphics for title pages. Some of these were pretty unique.
I remember having to load a special ANSI driver to be able to view the title screens properly with the Coco.
Does anyone remember what the name of this driver was?

The reason I ask, is I ran across an archive (Internet)  of ANSI graphics and I'd like to be able to view them on the Coco. So the next question would be is there a program to display these files or do I have to write one? It seems like I remember, after loading the driver, I was able to "list" them to the screen and they would show properly. No word processor would display them properly due to the inability to display the ANSI control codes. These graphics files are just text files with embedded ANSI control codes to turn on the ANSI graphics modes.

I remember we had 2 or 3 "Anarchist" BBSs here locally that had amazing title screens. They would scroll for 4 or 5 pages before getting to the log-in and main menu. They would post new graphics weekly and sometimes daily. Some would even have title screens for each section of the BBS. At 300 baud, you had time to watch them scroll :-)

I would really like to find this driver. I probably have it, just don't know the name. If I can kick my old 5.25 drive and make it work, I'm sure I still have it on all my telecomm program disks. But I don't know if I can get to read or if the disks are any good. My last tour through my 5.25 disks yielded about 50% to not be readable.

Thnx
Bill P

Bill Pierce
ooogalapasooo at aol.com