[Coco] OS-9 coco2b lowercase

Bruce W. Calkins brucewcalkins at charter.net
Sun Oct 21 13:05:19 EDT 2012

----- Original Message -----

From: "Retro Canada"

> character rom patterns are not accessibke right?
>
> Sent from my iPhone

I am chiming in late in this thread as I just got back from a campout.  The
last model number of CoCo 2 had no/plain, A and B suffixes.  The plain and A
versions used 1 by 16k or 1 by 64k chips.  The B variant had options for 1
by 16k, 1 by 64k, 4 by 16k, 4 by 64k and connectors for a satellite board
using 1 by 64k chips. The B variant had a different SAM and upgraded VGA
chip.   Whichever option was used the alternative solder holes in factory
64k units were often left empty.  IIRC; there were two models of CoCo 2
prior to these Korean versions. I have seen all 64k variants, including two
64k satellite boards.

Identifying; the plain and earlier units said Radio Shack on the front
label.  The A units said Tandy on the front and Radio Shack on the underside
label.  B units said Tandy on both sides.

There was a way to set OS-9 Level 1 to use the lower case on the B variant
CoCo 2, but it has been a long time since I fiddled with it, so my memory
needs refreshing.  I did use an alternative OS-9 Level 1 that used a 64
column screen.  That was done with as PMODE type window and special
characters though.

Bruce W.