[Coco] precision soldering skill

T. Franklin tim at franklinlabs.com
Fri Oct 19 08:25:51 EDT 2012

That's actually not uncommon. The boards were wave soldered (not soldered by hand). Sometimes the solder puddle which is actively moving will push the chips out of their position. It's not a problem if the board works. It's obviously worked for many years. I've seen this many times in my business and never gave it a second thought.

Someone told me once... "PC Boards are not sacred". Meaning, fixing a board with a wire or seeing this type of anomaly doesn't affect anything. However, I would like to add that this statement was made before the advent of surface mount and clock frequencies above 1 Ghz where PCB layouts effect performance.